Monday 23 January 2017

Boys can be princesses too




These pictures you see here are me at about three/four years old. For a long time I was really self conscience to share these pictures online however over the past few years I have become much more confident. I understand now that these pictures are a part of me and they are a part of my make up (unintentional pun!). I have known from a very young age that I was different to the other boys, I wasn't interested in what was stereotypically masculine and through discovering my sexuality and the (oh G-d I find this word so cliche) journey, I have realised that these differences make more me. I joke around with my friends saying things like, drag since 2001 and I have become so confident with who I am and I have gotten in to drag multiple times and I love it.

However for a long time that was a front which I put on to cover the fact that I wasn't always okay with it but now I am so comfortable. I wanted to share these pictures to show that boys can be princesses too and although I have seen so much change within the world that this is becoming less of an issue. Boys should be allowed experiment with make up and traditionally female clothing without any prejudice. I recently saw on Ben Platt's Instagram a picture of him in a Snow White dress and that really comforted me because if only my younger self saw that and realised that I'm not the only one, it would be been so great for my mental health. Also watching Trent and Luke on YouTube I could relate so much to Luke's story and I think it's so important that children should be told that it's okay to defy the norm and break the gender stereotypes. 


I would say I'm quite a flamboyant gay guy, it's just in my nature. I find it so interesting that from such a young age as three I knew what I liked and what I wanted to wear. It just shows that children aren't influenced by others but themselves. I found my way into princesses, Disney and Polly Pocket's all by myself. This also seems relevant for the idea that apparently having gay parents makes you gay, which is ridiculous. It just shows that you like what you like, it's in your genetic make up and you can't change that.

There were times in my life when I was so ashamed of how I was and what I liked but one day it all clicked into place. I realised that I didn't need to apologise for liking boys, liking the theatre or dressing up, it makes me me. I have found that throughout the years that being yourself openly is such an amazing feeling. It should be celebrated and the world is hopefully going in the direction that everyone should be able to feel that. 


I feel that this topic is still something that needs to be discussed more, so I just wanted to share my story and hopefully encourage a discussion. 




Lots of love 


George x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© George Clark | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig