Tuesday 10 January 2017

The Color Purple Appreciation Post

Today I want to dedicate a post to possibly my favourite story ever told, The Color Purple. As the legendary Broadway show closed a couple of days ago I thought it was a good time to share my experience of having The Color Purple in my life. Now if you haven't read it you might have just found what I said to be infantile but I am telling you now it is one of the best books to have ever been written. Alice Walker is a remarkable woman and her literature is some of my favourite work. She is truly an inspiring lady, if you ever get time watch interviews with her on YouTube, she's just amazing.

Purple has particularly played a huge part of my life this past year. Mainly through Cynthia Erivo's portrayal of Celie on Broadway. Unluckily I didn't get to see the show live but nevertheless I still feel that, that show and this story will forever be in my heart. The soundtrack and the score are simply incredible and that with the beautiful mix of Cynthia's voice it just makes magic.

Purple is incredibly spiritual and has truly given me a new perspective on life and how I see the world. I can tell you now that I physically cannot pass a field with the colour purple without stopping.

Purple is about sexuality and Walker explores the relationship between two women and for her to speak about this back when she wrote it was revolutionary. Especially as it was about two black women. This has influenced me so much that I wrote about this particular area in my personal statement for applying to university. The reason for this is because it wouldn't be personal to me if I didn't talk about The Color Purple.

Purple is just so so much more that I want to share with you although I don't want to get all over excited and give it all away.

Seriously if you have never read this book or witnessed the show, I encourage you to go and buy a copy. Also listen to The Color Purple Broadway soundtrack. It will change your life for the better.

"Look what God has done"- Celie and Shug

Lots of love

George x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© George Clark | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig